Thursday, April 19, 2012

1.) Themes

Themes
- ** Religion **
- Humans are capable of anything if pushed enough
- Anything is possible
- Safety can come from the strangest of places
- Everything is not always as it seems

 Religion is the largest attribute of Pi's life aboard before and after his life on the lifeboat. It's what gets him through the day; he loves to love god and the feeling of each of his gods inside him. He loved religion so much he saw the good points in all of them, and became a Christian and Muslim along with his Hinduism. When inside his boat many times he began to question his Gods, but responded to his doubt by shouting him away. Screaming, he assured himself that there was holy presence in everything. That the sky was god's hat and Richard Parker was God's cat.
O Savior of my life, 
Will you meet me in my death? 

O Deliverer of my hope, 
Will you free me in my peril? 
O Healer of my soul, 
Will you cure all my disease?
When I cry, shedding tears
Do you taste my bitterness? 

When I strive, struggling to survive
Do you stand by and offer your hand? 

When I give up, with shattered dreams 
Do you pick up all the pieces?
O Listener of all my prayers,
In silence and thunders I wait for your answer. 

O Comforter of my broken heart,
In lonely night I search for your solace. 

O Helper of my weakened strength, 
In unbearable burden I seek your relief.
O Maker of heavens and earth, 
May I call you my God? 
Even if I never know your name, 
Even if I've done some shameful things,
Even if I betrayed you and ran away once.
But will you forgive me for all my wrongs?
Will you help me when I reach toward you with my tiny hands?
Will you grant me peace even though we battled all our lives?
People say you set the rules,
But I know you truly love.
When others judge my covers,
You attend my heart and mind.
When my road leads into dark storms,
You will light up my eyesight.
When I fall on hard ground,
You will lift me up to rise.
When I face hardship and scorn, 
We will together share our portion. 
When I suffer in a hopeless sickbed,
We will together battle in each breath.
When I'm lost alone and lingering, 
You will be with me, and guide me home. 
One day I'll die and depart,
But I truly believe
You will lift me up.
O God, our Savior, listen to our prayer. 
Fill our hunger, heal our sickness, 
Comfort our souls. 
If you wish not to answer, 
Then please wait for us,
Because we are about to shut our eyes.
--Laijon Liu

When I strive, struggling to survive, do you stand by and offer your hand? This shows his doubt of God's existence whilst in his suffering, while still retaining glimmers of belief still inside him. O Listener of all my prayers, in silence and thunders I wait for your answer. Part of his daily routine to keep him sane, was saying his prayers everyday. His life was filled with complete silence aside from Richard Parker's very occasional noises, and the sound of thunder during storms. May I call you my God? Even if I've done some shameful things, even if I betrayed you and ran away once. Pi is completely ashamed of his actions, killing god's creators, his cannibalism and his periods of doubt. After finally finding land he studies religion in college, I could see him asking God if he was worthy to love him after his atrocities.

No comments:

Post a Comment